Craftsman Style Home in Venetia, PA
This Craftsman style home in Venetia, PA, a community in Peters Township, Washington County, located south of Pittsburgh. The home was designed for first-floor living and with aging in place design considerations. The use of granite, natural hardwood and stone blend seamlessly with the outdoor beauty of the six-acre lot.
Design/Build Craftsman Style Home with First-Floor Living
With the abundance of natural light, granite, natural hardwood and stone, this Craftsman-Style custom home in Peters Township, Pittsburgh, is warm, spacious and inviting.
This design-build project began in February 2011 and was completed March 2012. The project was set on a lot where the existing home was demolished because it was unfavorable to redesign. The new house was designed for first-floor living with aging-in-place in mind.
The use of engineered components and dimensional lumber rafters allowed for a complex roofline—spanning large open spaces within the home. An appealing feature of this home is that it has lots of windows to enjoy natural light and the beauty of the property. Even the walk-out basement is drenched with natural light from 13 windows and three large glass doors.
The first-floor master bedroom suite boasts a roomy walk-in closet and a master bath featuring a barrier-free shower with multiple water outlets to enhance the bathing experience. The shower also includes a bench seat for comfort or necessity as the owner grows older. His and her custom vanities, a towel warmer and an oversized whirlpool tub complete the master suite.
Since aging in place was a key design consideration, an elevator shaft was planned into the design, should it be needed in the future.
The gorgeous kitchen boasts every modern luxury a cook could dream of. A raised solid cherry breakfast bar overlooks a large granite island that houses the main sink, and a prep sink to the side allows for multiple work areas. An abundance of custom cabinetry and a huge pantry offer ample space for storage. The kitchen’s focal point is a 60″ Wolf Dual Fuel Range with a large custom exhaust hood and a custom tile backsplash. In addition, the kitchen features two dishwashers, a Wolf warming drawer, a Miele combination convection oven/microwave and a large Subzero refrigerator.
The kitchen opens into the family room, allowing everyone to be close to the cook. The family room focal point is a floor-to-ceiling natural stone fireplace that blends beautifully with the space. The massive window design adds lots of natural light and brings inside the outdoors.
Upstairs, two spacious bedrooms share a Jack-and-Jill bathroom while the guest room enjoys a private bath. A lounge area at the top of the stairs provides a quiet space for reading, watching movies or playing family games away from the main living space.
Additional unique features that set this home apart from others:
- A fantastic front porch made from Douglas Fir and finished to a warm honey tone.
- An 8-foot front door that welcomes you into an oversized foyer with a sitting area behind it where one can enjoy a floor-to-ceiling see-through gas fireplace.
- Oak hardwood flooring throughout the home is stained natural with a clear finish.
- Radiant heated floors provide additional warmth and comfort throughout the basement, first floor and garage areas.
- The energy-efficient design includes an insulated concrete form foundation, four inches of rigid insulation under the concrete floors and “flash & batt” wall and ceiling insulation for thermal performance with air and vapor sealing.
- Keeping with the Craftsman-Style of the home, the builder and his craftsman designed a beautiful oak handrail system.
- The doors are three-panel solid-wood Douglas Fir. They are seven feet tall and stained beautifully to coordinate with the rest of the house. Even the door handles were selected to match the style. The oversized trim, six-inches in height, carries the Craftsman look and works beautifully with the vaulted ceilings and 10-foot ceilings in the kitchen and throughout the rest of the home.
The result is a home in harmony with people and nature—one of functional quality achieved through the greatest attention to detail, natural materials and professional design.